- Linguists are collectively responsible for the reputation and progress of the discipline and should endeavor to maintain a high degree of professionalism in all aspects of their work.
- Linguists are subject to the standards of conduct found in other disciplines and should practice honesty (e.g., by not plagiarizing or fabricating data).
- Those conducting field research should do all they can to preserve opportunities for researchers who may follow them in the field.
- Linguists should make all reasonable efforts to preserve their original documentary materials.
- Linguists should strive to follow through on promises made in funded grant proposals and should acknowledge the support of sponsors.